February 2021 - Teeling Distillery Tasting Event
Updated: May 3, 2021
We were delighted to welcome The Teeling Distillery to our second tasting of the year which was held online and hosted by Chris Hayes their European Brand Manager.
It was again a great turnout for the society with 70 participants taking part. The line-up for the evening covered 6 expressions across some core bottlings and limited release whiskeys.
Located in the heart of the historic Liberties, against the backdrop of a city steeped in whiskey history, the Teeling Whiskey Distillery opened its doors in 2015 as the first new distillery in Dublin for over 125 years.
The distillery was set up in 2012 by Stephen and Jack Teeling. The Teeling name was originally used in 1782 when William Teeling set up a craft distillery near the Guinness factory in Marrowbone Lane. The Teeling distillery currently continue to use the Teeling family stock from Cooley Distillery (which totals 16,000 barrels ranging from 3-32 YO) while it slowly releases its range of whiskeys distilled onsite. Capacity is currently 5-600,000 LPA per year.
All expressions went down well with lots of opinions on which was the favourite on the night, but given the range of SPS, SM, and Peated, as well as the cask finishes it was a difficult decision, but in no particular order the Renaissance 2, Brabazon 4, and Blackpitts came out on top.
The Whiskeys tasted:
· Single Pot Still: @ 46%, batch four and now the favoured mashbill/finish for future releases. Triple distilled using a 50/50% malted/unmalted, 4YO finished in Olorosso Sherry but, Ex Bourbon, and American Virgin Oak barrels. €45
· Blackpitts: Triple distilled peated single malt @46%, Malt came from Glenesk (55ppm), finished in 2/3rds ex-bourbon and 1/3 Sauternes wine casks (Bordeaux). €60
· Brabazon 4: Single Malt @ 49.5%, NAS, 11 years ex-bourbon, 2 years Carcavelos casks (Portuguese) fortified wine). This is the final one in a series of 4 releases – B1 Sherry, B2 Port, B3 PX Spinolla Casks. €95
· Renaissance 2: 18YO Single Malt @46%, Double Distilled, 17 years in ex-bourbon, and 18 months in Australian Shiraz casks. €120
· Chinkapin: Distillery Exlusive @46% 6YO, 75% Single Grain 25% Single Malt, aged in this American white oak and finished for 1 year in Chinkapin.
· WOW Cherry Wood: 2nd release of the Wonder of Wood range, 5YO Single Malt @57.1% 14 years in ex-bourbon and 1 year in Virgin Cherry Cognac French casks. €125
All the best WWS